Friday, February 20, 2015

Challenge - Week One


Week one into my challenge...no earth shattering changes occurred, but incremental steps in the right direction. Task one was successfully accomplished as the majority of each day began with dedicated time with just me, my Bible and God. I sweetly ushered the kids off for school, made myself some tea, and settled down in my sacred spot. I'm in Psalms...David is being sought after by blood thirsty assassins. Why so downcast oh my soul...he's having a really bad day. My chapter finished, I tip my head back and offer up some gratitude for that day. Thankful for healthy family, thankful that Tim has a fruitful job allowing me to stay home, thankful that Mom is with Him. I can only imagine the joy she must be feeling right now. I linger a bit, thankful for blessings to come and open eyes to see them..I find myself calm, focused, ready to attack the day.


Task two... quality time with the family seemed strangely awkward, something that needed to be guided with much intention. Kids were confused by my suggestion to play a long unopened board
game. Son says that's why they're called bored games. They played along, however, and he even sat nearby to make sure I didn't cheat thru round two. It is truly much easier to sit and stare at the phone...all the possibilities of games, information, crafty inspiration. I felt a magnetic pull drawling me back to check endlessly...like swinging open the fridge door hoping for something magical to appear. Must resist the pull (said in my best Captain Kirk voice). Instead, I played the music loud and made some brownies. A good country song inspired a solo two-step, son didn't want to join in, but he was watchin' and a-grinnin'.

Setting aside time for three friends and one unexpected connection was a sweet treat. We caught up and sat eye-to-eye, not once to tell Facebook where I was or stopping to take a selfie. Their stories magnificent, rich, sometimes heavy creating such thoughtful human beings. Communication is truly an art..one that needs to be honed and appreciated. I adore friends that ask meaningful questions and find myself doing more of the same. We shared hugs, held hands when one of us needed that extra squeeze, and left feeling filled to the brim.


My next task of completing annoying tasks was, well, annoying. I suppose that's why I've procrastinated. I've been sitting on a complicated insurance issue that I knew would require several lengthy phone calls. I bit the bullet, made the calls, explained too many times, and soon after, the problem was resolved. Everyone satisfied and thankfully off my plate forever! One less nagging task in my must-do pile. Another task was painting our 11-year-primer-white basement. A little too ambitious with this task, I set aside a snowy afternoon and for three hours I attacked walls. Sadly, the color is not making hubby happy. His manly basement a little too girlie. So, that task will most likely need to be redone...lesson learned, paint small area for approval first.


Overall, this first week of my challenge I find myself feeling very productive, very intentional. Inspiring myself to live smarter, kinder, with more love. Making connections with family and friends before time passes by. Using precious time more efficiently but at the same time, filling the quiet gaps with soul searching, laughter, and making sweet memories.  Encouraging more of the same this coming week.
 
 








1 comment:

  1. You're off to an amazing start! You're an inspiration!! Good for you!

    ReplyDelete