Monday, December 15, 2014

Let Me Introduce You...


If you have had the pleasure of meeting my mother, you'd know this to be true... Linda Kay Elliott is a saint. She has experienced enough to make any strong man sink to his knees. Her father was shot in a liquor store robbery...he had alcohol in his blood and to this day, she still wonders if the liquor encouraged him to fight back. Her mother developed Parkinson's disease a few short years later. She lived with us while I was in high school...I can only imagine how stressful that was to watch her degenerate...she was so fragile. She died years later in the hospital from pneumonia experimenting countless medicines in an effort to reverse the disease. More recently, her younger sister Carol, after speaking with her best friend on the phone, collapsed from a heart attack and died several days later. During each loss, my mother remained collected. Perhaps it was her training as a Nurse that created either an award-winning Poker face or the stark reality that life is fleeting.

Linda has never smoked. I doubt she's ever done any sort of drugs...not that she'd talk about that kind of thing. The only time I've seen her consume alcohol was when I bought her a strawberry daiquiri on a cruise we enjoyed together a few years ago. She didn't seem to enjoy it...maybe it's because of the history with her father. I have never heard a foul word spill from her mouth. In fact, I've never seen her angry. A few months ago, curious about her answer, I asked her what made her angry. What would actually stir her to punch someone in the face. She looked thoughtful and responded, “Nothing ultimately matters that much”. Perhaps it was the Cancer...it seems to give you a different filter. It makes seemingly important things small and small things important. The single time I heard her raise her voice was when her father was shot and it was being highlighted briefly on the news. Bryan, Jody, and I must have been too loud nearby and she stomped out of the room mad that she missed the segment.  That's it. She could also instantly transform into Nurse in emergencies. Cole almost lost his adult front tooth while we were visiting a few years ago. While I was face planted on the cool linoleum, gasping for air, she calmly applied pressure while blood pulsed from his mouth. I also just learned that when my Aunt Gail had a hysterectomy, my mom surprised her in the hospital room and slept in the chair all night to watch over her. Then you have her battle with Cancer, fought like a true champion, she has dealt with this beast in some shape or form for over 15 years.

She is the cornerstone of the Elliott family. She took my grandmother Elliott to the doctors, hair-dressers and the bank as often as needed. She has raised strong grandchildren long after her youngest was grown. She delivered thousands of babies at the hospital and my local friends even sought her out when they were pregnant. She single-handedly supported the family income and did her best to keep current. If she had two pennies remaining, she'd give you both. She visits my great Aunt Bootsie several times a month...Bootsie's hugs and gardens are healing. She loves to scrapbook, dabbled in genealogy, is an avid reader, loves country music, is a die-hard martyr, always wanted to either foster children or do mission work abroad. She is poised, caring, soft-spoken, gentle and even-tempered. I have never, ever, ever, heard her ever complain.  When the Cancer came and then returned, she promptly took the suggested steps. She sweetly endured long hours hooked to toxins via the port in her chest. Her best friend, Karen and other family members would call me to get updates on her progress because Mom wouldn't return phone calls...she didn't want to trouble them or make them worry. When her income dropped because she could no longer work, she stayed calm. She seems to have this never-ending reserve of love, patience, kindness, and joy that most people draw short. I call it a God-thing. She is a Christian, always making sure we went to Sunday school and vacation bible school. I grew up reading the poem Footprints...we've always had it framed in our house. It tells of how a man goes to heaven and God shows him the flow of his life as represented by footprints in the sand. When times were good, there were two sets of footprints in the sand. But when times were hard, there were only one. The man questioned God as to why he left him alone in times of trouble to which God responds...my child, that was when I carried you. If, instead of that seemingly whiney man, the story was written from my Mom's perspective, it would most often reflect single sets of footprints in the sand. And when God says, 'Well done, my good and faithful servant', she'll quietly giggle her sweet little laugh and humbly respond “my pleasure”.

No comments:

Post a Comment