Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Hospital Visit

Some time has passed since I posted in Silver Lining... been blessed with starting a new business and balancing volunteer and family time.  I had to stop in and share a few sweet moments that made me realize how far I've come.

Volunteering at the Community Closet, I have the opportunity to meet many souls.  Some could so easily be scurried past, meek and almost invisible.  But not this one.  He is a regular (intentionally leaving his name out)...he hobbles in, confidently grabbing his personal seat pad and claiming his spot on the bench. I've loved chatting with him, creating a relationship with this 70+ year old man...listening to his Army memories, smiling as he teases his wife. Lately though, his color has faded, his breathing labored, he rocks ever so slightly in efforts to distract the pain.  Overcome with Cancer, it has taken root in his lungs.  He has taken a turn for the worse and is now in Palliative care...a word that instantly punched me in the chest with memories of Mom.  There was no doubt about visiting him...I felt the pain and worry, and did it anyway.

I drove with a friend and prayed most of the morning in preparation...asking for extra strength and the right words to offer comfort. It was he that provided comfort, instead.  He spoke of his priorities upon leaving this earth...he could not wait to see the face of Jesus.  He was ready to sit at His feet and offer praise.  Then, he was determined to see the Blessed Mother Mary.  Afterwards, he wants to see his family members.  Excited to see his grandparents that passed before he was born.  Then, and only then, he would occupy his mansion.  So confident, full of excitement.  He only teared when speaking of his wife of 54 years.  He would miss her.  We would nurture her.  We held his hand, wiping tears away, as he entertained us with tales from his youth.  We were laughing, crying, and left uplifted.  So grateful to have the opportunity to meet this soul.  Leaving, I wouldn't say goodbye... see you later, instead.

He is good stuff....salt of the earth.  He didn't have much, but he did have unlimited amounts of courage and love.  It weighed heavy to enter a hospital, passing the Chapel, hitting that elevator button, reliving that smell, those looks, seeing Morphine administered...thankful that I received that extra dose of strength I asked for because I couldn't imagine letting him pass without telling him he is so loved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment