Tuesday, January 6, 2015

The Days After

Moments after 1:45am, January 2, 2015, I transformed from loving comforter to committed funeral planner.  She told me her wishes, now was my time to execute.  Home at 3am, restless at 6am, I climbed out of bed and hit the ground.  Freshen up as visitors will begin to arrive, begin to clean kitchen for same reasons.  By 8am, the funeral home was calling..I suppose that means Mom's earth suit was transported back to Federalsburg.  They were available to meet, so I raced in town to hammer out the details.  They had the perfect dark blue urn (her favorite color) and a guest book/card set with the garden of her dreams printed upon it's cover.  This is going so smoothly. Too smoothly...I think  I must be heartless, cold, why am I not a quivering mess?  I'm in Get-It-Done mode. A dear friend compared it to planning a wedding and that only after will this all settle in.

I have to identify her before cremation.  Thankful that I don't have to witness her in foreign surroundings, the owner traipses downstairs to take a picture.  I can hear every step so I can imagine Mom right beneath me.  I distract myself with desk brochures...steps returning.  I take a deep breath and wait for the photo to load on her desktop monitor.  Yes, that's her.  They did something with her mouth because now it's closed.  She appears content, peaceful...the faintest hint of a Mona Lisa-esque smile.  I'm tasked with forms to complete and her obituary to forward and still without a tear, I'm out the door.  Leaving her behind. 

Returning to Pepper Road, brother calls to inform me he has broken the news to our 90yo Grandmother.  She's distraught.  Feeling like she's lost her best friend.  I think, surely she's been thru this countless times, I always assume older people handle death easier.  Shifting from park to reverse, I motor over to her home...partly my Dad's store (which is open that day, by the way).  Bryan reports he needs the distraction...I scowl at the sole customer leaning over the counter.  Don't you have anything better to do?  Are you really waiting for a vehicle?  I digress...that's another post.  I find Grandma in the kitchen, more frail than I saw her last.  I hadn't visited while I was on Mom duty.  I couldn't handle anything more.  She's crying.  I can't remember the last time I saw her cry.  Mom was always helping her clean, organize, transporting her to doctors visits, the hair salon, and bank.  I comfort her the best I can, having to yell to be heard makes me feel insincere.  No one had updated her these past 12 days so she was shocked...last we spoke, she hoped Mom would 'snap out of it'. 

Back home, gracious family arrives with sandwiches in tow.  I didn't realize how hungry I was for food and laughter.  They truly are both good medicines. After, I begin sorting Mom's room with Jody. Mom had tasked us with taking what was sentimental to us and sending the rest to Goodwill.  I've seen family and friends transform after death..suddenly nasty, suspicious, greedy.  When Tim's grandfather Gerald died, his home was looted by friends and family...pictures snagged from walls, seasoned cast iron pots lifted.  No shame.  So, I'm careful to tell everyone of anything I claim as mine.  Of all items, I'm only interested in Mom and Grandma Hasting's recipe boxes.  Cards written in their handwriting.  Family recipes and traditions to continue. 

Back home in Shrewsbury, Pa, it's more flurry...sweet friends make us dinner and grace me with moments to reflect and share.  But still no breakdown.  Friends text daily to see if I'm still breathing.  Waiting for the floodgates to open, I ask Tim if he thinks I'm heartless.  We agree that I've been crying for months.  When she called to report her Cancer numbers were high again, I wept.  When she called to tell me she was taking a break from chemo, I wept.  When I felt far away and helpless, I wept.  I've leaked a lot over a long time and now only peace remains. We Christians mourn, but not as those who have no hope. I am wearing a completely different set of spectacles by which I see this world...this temporary dwelling where we are tested and grown daily to become something better.  (yet another post...).  So, friends, in the moment I write this, I am breathing, moving thru the day, not bed-bound.  I can't speak for tomorrow or even later today, however.  But know that your prayers, hugs, love, messages, texts, calls, meals, gifts, and visits are appreciated more than I can express.  Much love returned to every single one.  xoxo

1 comment: