Wednesday, October 11, 2017

Rosy Facebook Posts



I’m not even close to perfect.  However, according to  my Facebook feed, all things are rosy.  Recently several friends declared they’re ditching Facebook because it’s so fake.  I get it.  But maybe a rosy post is all others can muster.  I’ve met surface level ladies that will only let you get one layer thick before drawling back into their shell.  Anything deeper may reveal painful scars. A rosy post is just an easy way to stay connected, or an easier way to handle something sad.  

Would you prefer reality instead?  It seems we receive daily reminders of how very dark this world truly is.  Perhaps a sweet story or a lovely pic is all that’s keeping them clinging to sanity. What you see is only a glimmer of the load another is carrying. Be grateful you don’t see all truth...you might not like what you find. Behind closed doors, friends struggle with abusive husbands, cunning illnesses, precarious employment, fragile finances, insecurities, fears, depression.


I wonder if the more accurate issue is that rosy posts remind you that your own life is in spiral.  Happy families, secure homes, exotic vacations, all reminders of more appealing options. Comparison is a slippery slope, my friend.  No need to wallow…step out and step up. Change things up. Make yourself better, seek a quality group of friends, read an uplifting book, watch a powerful Youtube video, listen to a sermon online.  Be happy for another’s success…it means there’s room for you to be successful.  Be grateful for joy…it’s a rare and beautiful thing.

3 comments:

  1. Well said, Lisa! I sometimes have to shut down facebook or stick only to my notifications when I catch myself comparing. I don't want to be a jealous person. I like your take on FB being a positive place - I can't bear to watch the news anymore. It is nice to see smiling faces and I love seeing posts from proud parents about their kids. I'd much rather laugh at memes, gawk at gorgeous pictures, and tease my friends on FB than read the news. But you're right - it's only one side, our public side. Good thing there are friends (like you) to share the other sides with.

    ReplyDelete